RUM! ALL OF THE RUM!
I haven’t posted a rum cocktail for a little while now, and it’s a shame really as I do rather love a good old rum cocktail. So I thought why not do one today? After all we could do with a little tropical rum kick, especially with the weather we’re getting here in the UK right now (not to mention how you Americans have had it recently – oh and not to mention all those not fortunate to live on a tropical island!).
Anyway the Rum Runner is a small cocktail sized portion of a rum punch, tweaked in ways to better suit it to the smaller vessel of a highball glass…
25ml light rum
25ml dark rum
1 small lime, juiced
15ml sugar syrup
150ml fresh pineapple juice
- Shake all of the ingredients vigourously over ice.
- Strain into a highball glass filled with crushed ice.
- Garnish with a pineapple slice and a maraschino cherry.
So there you go a tropical drink with a bit of a rum kick.
This cocktail has several tweaks available, some of the best I’ll note down below, but as always you should prepare this drink how best suits your tastes. I always use a small lime, but some of you might prefer more lime juice (or less! – just use ½ lime instead for a good scale back).
Fervent Shaker Top Tweaks:
– Instead of sugar syrup (its pretty bad for you) try Agave Nectar or a mild runny honey. Or even make your own Demerara sugar syrup.
– Try a dark rum float. Sure it says shake them all, but for a bigger rum hit at the end of your drink; shake everything up EXCEPT the dark rum and then float it on top of the cocktail at the end. It will make the drink taste very different indeed.
– Why not try using a different combination of rums? Instead of the white & Dark combo, try either white with gold, or gold with dark. The former results in a lighter taste.
And finally, a link to a blogger who also enjoys the odd Rum Runner: