Originally I had planned to do just the two individual X-men themed cocktails and post about them, one this week and one next week. However I found an issue with deciding which two X-Men to choose. So I gave up on that idea and merged both posts into a single post and selected 10 of my favourite X-Men characters and then proceeded to give them cocktail shooters, using my very own recipes! Please note that these character choices may be biased from my time watching the 90’s cartoon (it was, and still is, pretty darn good)…
I always loved the X-Men. A world in which ‘mutated’ powers came to be genetically, and a world in which these ‘mutants’ were not accepted by those who were not alike.
Mutant’s came in all shapes and sizes, literally, from mutants who can detect other mutants to uber-powerful mutants that can control the elements; Magnetism, Weather, Ice, Fire as well as pretty much anything else you can imagine!
I think one of the funniest abilities I ever witnessed was in X-Men: The Last Stand… It was during the break out scene magneto stages, and one of the mutants tasked with finding the young boy comes across the doctors involved in manufacturing an ‘antidote’ for the mutant gene. The mutant in question hugs one of the doctors, and whilst in the close embrace he flexes and out dash a bunch of spines – like a porcupine!!! Really?!
Anyway, onwards to the drinks…
The drinks this week are a little different, in that rather than restricting myself to a single cocktail I’ve opted to go for shorter, stronger yet more party friendly drinks…
That’s right folks; it’s time for X-Men Shooters!
Here are 10 of my own recipes for some great fun at your next geek-fuelled party!
Please note that whilst I consider all of these recipes my own work, that does not mean there will be no similarities to other drinks out there…
Also please bear with me whilst I work on these cocktails – I’ve not been able to get decent pictures of all of them yet, so you’ll have to suffer with my concept drawings. I’ll replace/add actual pictures as and when I can!!!
#1: The Professor Xavier
Equal parts Scotch & Water…
- Build in a glass, use 1 large ice-ball to chill.
This cocktail is simple yet undyingly effective. After all this is the drink the professor would be enjoying and you can be certain he’d be using a damn good scotch whisky too!
#2: The Cyclops
½ measure Well-Iced Blue Curacao
¼ measure Cherry Brandy
¾ measure Yellow Chartreuse
- Pour the blue curacao into a standard-sized shot glass.
- Using the back of a bar spoon layer the cherry brandy on top of the blue curacao.
- Then, finally, layer the chartreuse onto the cherry brandy – use the same method as above.
- The image above is a representation of what you should be aiming for…
The leader of the X-Men and leader of these cocktails, Cyclops (or Scott Summers, his human name) is has a soft heart and is one of the most loyal and noble mutants in the X-Men. However, no matter how he tries to hide it, he has a dangerous side – his mutation. His mutation is uncontrollable without his specially made visor and if caught off-guard can cause significant damage to those around him – friends and innocents alike.
#3: The Storm
1.5 measures Tequila,
1 measure Blue Curacao
¾ measure Lime Juice
- Fill a shot glass half way with crushed ice (pack it in tightly)
- Shake the tequila and lime juice together and pour into a large shot glass.
- Fill the rest of the shot glass with crushed ice.
- Then, using the back of a bar spoon, layer the blue curacao on top and just wait for the slow but steady fallout…
Second in command and arguably one of the most powerful mutants alive, Storm is loyal, logical, and noble as well as knowing what it’s like to grow up in one of the hardest environments on the planet: 3rd world Africa. She is a great mutant to have on the side of the X-Men and has time and time again proved her worth to the world… This cocktail represents one of her most theatrical abilities changing the weather!
#4: The Wolverine
½ measure Iced Blue Curacao
½ measure Crème de Banane
- As before you simply layer the spirits on top of each other (in the order listed in the recipe) and down in one!
Arguably the most wild and unpredictable mutant in the X-men, wolverine is known for being a bit of a hot head and not caring much for any trouble he gets in. His method of choice is to fight his way out, even if talking will do.
The thing that makes him an integral member of the team however is his vast array of mutant abilities. His main mutant ability is definitely his most powerful: regeneration (almost instantaneous). Combined with his heightened senses and surgically implanted adamantium, an indestructible metal, he is one of the most ferocious and hardened fighters out there…
#5: The Beast
1 measure Vodka
1 measure Blue Curacao
1 measure Blue Raspberry Sourz
1 measure Peach schnapps
2 measure Lemonade
- Shake the vodka, blue curacao, blue raspberry sourz and peach schnapps together until the tin is well iced (around 15-20 seconds).
- Strain into a rocks glass full of crushed ice.
- Top up with the lemonade and garnish with a wedge of lime…
The group scientist, Beast is a brilliant mind and avid purveyor of thoughts. He can pretty much think his way out of any situation and is the most logical as well as being well respected among the rest of the group.
Beast prides himself on his knowledge and unwavering sense of righteousness, if caught by the authorities he would rather sit and await trial, believing fully that in order for humans to accept mutants, mutants have to accept humans…
#6: The Jubilee
½ measure Viniq Liqueur
½ measure Goldschlager
½ measure Nuvo Sparkling Liqueur
- Pour the Viniq liqueur into a well-chilled tall shot glass.
- Layer the Goldschlager onto the Viniq (use the back of a bar spoon as already mentioned above).
- Then, gently layer the Nuvo sparkling liqueur on top of the Goldschalger.
- Enjoy the show and then knock it back…
Jubilee is the baby of the group, she has arguably the weakest ability of the group but where her abilities lack in strength and power they make up for in subterfuge and diversionary tactics. Often the playing the bait she is both courageous and a little fool-hardy. Jubilee is the apple of Wolverine’s eye and often he will be heard shouting her name before making paper-chains out of her would-be attackers…
This cocktail, like Jubilee, is a little piece of chaos in a cute, rather girly shell. Blending some feminine and novel spirits together to create something both magical and sparkling in the same glass…
#7: The Gambit
2tsp well-iced grenadine
½ measure Domaine de Canton Ginger Liqueur
½ measure St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur
1 measure Martell VSOP Cognac
1 measure Grey Goose Vodka
- Pour the grenadine into a tall shot glass.
- Blend together the Domain De Canton Ginger Liqueur, Cognac and some ice until the mixture is similar to that of a slushy drink.
- Pour this onto the grenadine, being careful not to mix it into the grenadine.
- Then blend together the St. Germain, Vodka and more ice. Stop when a ‘slushy’ texture is met.
- Layer this mixture on top of the rest of the shot and enjoy!
Gambit (or Remy Lebeau) is well renowned for his French accent, New Orleans decent and of course his weakness for a pretty lady… However his mutant ability and general all-around agility makes him an invaluable member of the X-Men team.
Like Gambit, this shooter exudes French class and has an abundance of fragrant flavours and will impress any lady you serve it up to.
#8: The Ice-Man (serves 2)
2 measures Vodka
2 measures Peach Schnapps
2 measures Blue Curacao
- Blend together the above ingredients and a half blender full of ice.
- Blend until the drink is hitting a slushy-like consistency and then pour into the well-iced shot glasses,
Bobby Drake (Ice-Man) is a young X-man made famous by the original 3 films and has subsequently been a pretty solid inclusion in future instalments (except for those before his time).
His mutant ability is pretty cool, sorry couldn’t help it, as he can supercool anything he touches and can even expel an ‘ice-beam’ like force from his hands – like a true little wizard.
He is one of the bravest X-Men and plays by the rules. This is shown throughout the films and even in the face of betrayal from his own family he holds no grudge towards them – it’s a pretty forward thinking and stable person who can do that!
This shooter, like Bobby, is well-iced and super cooled. It’s strong, cool and tastes pretty darn good!
#9: The Rogue (Serves 2)
1 measure Vodka
1 measure Gin
1 measure Tequila
1 measure Rum
1 measure Triple Sec
1 measure Lime Juice
3 measures Cola
- Shake all the ingredients (except for the cola) together and pour into 2 rock glasses.
- Top up with the Cola and knock it back…
In the films Rogue was played by Anna Paquin and was kind of a tortured soul. Her ability was somewhat of a curse in her inexperienced hands and there was only so much she could take. However, once trained Rogue was to become one of the most powerful mutants of all time. Her ability to steal other mutants’ abilities is rivalled by no others and in the 90’s cartoon she could fly and even had super-strength (courtesy of a prolonged touching of Ms. Marvel it was revealed).
This shooter, is only loosely a shooter and is modelled on the infamous Long Island Iced-Tea cocktail
#10: The Jean Grey (Phoenix Edition)
2tsp 151-proof White Rum
1 measure Green Chartreuse,
1 measure Midori
1 measure Vodka
1 measure Peach Schnapps
1 measure Grenadine
This cocktail consists of 3 carefully constructed parts, and you’ll need a thin Collins glass to serve it properly:
- For the first part simply blend grenadine and peach schnapps with ice cubes. You want a nice slushy mixture (as stated in above cocktails).
- Pour this into the pre-chilled glass.
- Then blend the Midori, Chartreuse & Vodka with ice to create the second, green, layer.
For the final layer you need to have a steady hand and a bar spoon…
- Layer the 151-proof rum gently on top of the drink so it floats. No ice this time.
- Finally all you need to do is, very carefully, light the 151-proof rum on fire. Use a splint or extended lighter do not get this on you – safety first folks!
These shooters are perfect for a friendly gathering or themed party and although they match their characters colours well, they mostly match their personalities and abilities too!
The X-Men are a powerful force and trust me, after a couple of these you’ll know why!!!
Miss any of my other superhero cocktail posts? Check out the links below and you decide who or what is your favourite!!!
My Favourite superhero: I Want Spiderman!
The humble beginnings: Avengers Assemble!