There are some great cocktails out there that are perfect for summer. Here are a few courtesy of the whisky exchange.
Classic American Whisky (or Whiskey) Sour
1 measure Bourbon whisky
1 measure Sweet & sour mix (a mixture of Lemon & Lime Juice)
½ measure Sugar Syrup
1 dash Angostura Bitters
1) Shake well over ice and strain into glass over fresh ice cube.
2) Garnish with a maraschino cherry.
For a slightly frothier drink dry shake and egg white with the ingredients and then shake over ice too cool. Then strain like normal.
50ml Nikka ‘from the barrel’
150ml Spring Water
1) Stack large cubed ice cubes in a tall glass.
2) Lay in the Nikka Whisky
3) Then top up with the 150ml water.
4) Stir around 10-14 times.
5) Taste and adjust water (add more) if required.
50ml Kingston Mango Liqueur
1) Pack the glass with crushed ice.
2) Pour over the Mango Liqueur and lemonade, stir well.
3) Garnish with some red berries (cherries, raspberries, red currents all work well).
Kingston also make a Red a Curacao which works just as well in this drink – although you end up with a drink that’s more citrus than mango…
1980’s Classic Pina Colada
50ml Pampero Blanco Rum
50ml Coco Real cream of coconut
100ml fresh pineapple juice (fresher the better)
1) If you have a blender then blend all the above ingredients with a mixer glass worth of ice. If you don’t have a blender, then shake the mixture really hard with a little less ice.
2) Serve with a slice of pineapple and a maraschino cherry.
50ml Tapatio Blanco Tequila
150ml Grapefruit Soda
1) Fill a glass with ice and pour in the Tequila.
2) Top up with the soda and garnish with a lime wedge.
For an added splash of citrus, try adding in 12.5ml – 25ml Freshly Squeezed Lime Juice. This will cut through the Tequila a bit, should you find it a little too strong.
A Fancy G&T
2 measures Gin
Top up Tonic Water
5-15ml Green Chartreuse
1) Make up your G&T like normal;
- Over ice, build the ingredients.
2) Then float the Green Chartreuse (the amount is to your taste) on top of the drink.
3) Enjoy your luxurious G&T.
25ml Absolut Vodka
25ml Grapefruit Juice
75ml Cranberry Juice
1) In an ice filled glass, build the ingredients one by one.
2) Stir it briefly and garnish with a lime wedge*.
Give the lime wedge a little squeeze to dump the juice in the drink before dropping the wedge in on top. Quickly stir again and you have a slightly more apparent citrusy hit in your drink.
All the ingredients for these drinks, as well as original pictures and recipes can be found on the Whisky Exchange’s website. They offer a competitive, yet affordable price on almost every product they sell, and honestly, some of the products you cannot get anywhere else. Not here in the UK anyway!
For all non-alcoholic ingredients, as well as some slightly cheaper store-brand alcohol you can check out your local supermarkets.
TheWhiskyExchange has had no involvement in this post. This is a post I made to share what I feel is one of the best websites out there for cocktail ingredients.