If I’ve said it once I’ve said it a thousand times; I do not like whisky. But recently I’ve been finding some that are quite bearable, including the one that happens to be the focal point of this post…
The book in which I found this recipe: “Pink Drinks” (published by Hamlyn) was a present from my sister, who thinks she is funny with Christmas presents like this, and is annoyingly full of some rather good cocktail recipes (hence this post).
2 measures Jack Daniels
½ measure Chambord Liqueur
½ measure fresh Lime Juice
Dash Agave Nectar
1 measure cranberry juice
1 measure raspberry puree
Garnish:2 Raspberries and a Lime wedge.
- Combine the whisky and other ingredients over ice and shake until ice forms on the outside of the shaker.
- Fill a highball glass with crushed ice and strain in the mixture.
- Garnish with the raspberries and lime wedge (use a skewer for the berries – it helps) and stick in two straws.
Combining a relatively sweet whisky with some lime juice and berries this drink creates a sweet-sour combination that really tingles on your tongue. The crushed ice both lengthens the drink and cools down the whisky.
“if you’re dreaming of that sparkly something that could take a long time in coming, then this is the drink for you. A divine mixture of raspberry puree, Jack Daniels and lime juice – it could be a long night” – Pink Drinks; Hamlyn books.
The best thing about this drink is that by tweaking two of the ingredients you can change the ‘girly’ pink hue of the drink whilst keeping the basic idea of the drink whole. Instead of using the raspberry ingredients try using a collection of darker berries:
– Replace the Chambord with Crème de Mure (Blackberry Liqueur)
– Replace the Raspberry Puree with a Blackberry & Blueberry puree.
– Replace the Cranberry Juice with Pomegranate & Blueberry Juice.
This will result in both a darker shade of red, a deeper flavour thanks to the summer berries and a drink the men in your group will not mind (as much) being seen holding. Failing that just make them some whisky sours with the left over Jack Daniels…
So there you have it, no excuses male or female, shake a few of these up for you and your friends and chill out with a good film or even a pizza.