Carrying on from last weeks Summer themed post, this post supplies you with 5 more delicious summer themed (and inspired) cocktails… Whilst they are all based on a different liqueur or spirit they are all refreshing, relatively simple and perfect for BBQ’s or Beaches. Whatever your fancy…
Recipe #6: Midori – Midori La Pomme
30ml Cognac (Brandy)
15ml Lemon Juice
Top up – Apple Cider
Garnish: Apple wedge
- Fill a tall glass with ice cubes.
- Build the ingredients as listed in the glass.
- Stir well and serve with a straw and garnish with an apple wedge.
This is one of the stranger cocktails on the list, as it combines Midori, Cognac and Cider… Whilst most people would assume Calvados would be a better fit, I find it to be too sickly combined with the Midori & apple cider. Using Cognac helped balance the cocktail and results in a crisper more refreshing cocktail…
Recipe #7: Cointreau – Cointreau Fizz
25ml Lime Juice
Top up Club Soda
- Fill a glass with ice and squeeze in (and drop in) 4 lime wedges.
- Pour in the Cointreau and stir very gently so as to mix the ingredients with the ice.
- Top with the Club Soda and garnish with a wheel of lime and a straw.
This cocktail is a new classic just waiting for the official nod. This became Cointreau’s signiture cocktail a few years back when they wanted to show off how versatile their spirit was, and that you could use it as a standalone spirit. “Much more than just a Triple Sec…”
As simple as can be, it just uses 3 ingredients, this cocktail delivers a crisp slice of summer in a glass. Whilst this particular blend might not seem very adventurous, check out the following link to see what other tweaks on this base cocktail Cointreau have created (I particularly like the Cucumber & Mint version)…
Recipe #8: Whisky – Hard Water Presbyterian
2 measures scotch whisky
¾ measures Lemon Juice
½ measure ginger syrup
2 measures Club Soda
- Fill a Collins glass with ice cubes and add the club soda – leave to one side.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in an ice filled cocktail shaker.
- Shake well for around 5-10 seconds* and then double strain into the tall glass.
- Garnish with a piece of candied ginger on a skewer and serve with a straw.
Recipe #9: Southern Comfort –Blackout Special
50ml Southern Comfort
12.5ml Fresh Lime Juice
25ml Cranberry Juice
- Build in a tall glass over ice, start with the SoCo.
- Then add in the lime, Sprite and cranberry juice.
- Garnish with a sprig of cranberries and a wedge of lime.
This refreshing cocktail is a little simpler than most, but it has that refreshing fizz to it that also has a little sugary hit. The Blackout Special is perfect for those long summer evenings and BBQ’s with neighbours. Hell it’s even a fitting perk up if a blackout actually hits…
Recipe #10: Passoa – Passoa Rosa Fizz
100ml Grapefruit Juice
Top up club soda
- Combine the first 2 ingredients one at a time over ice in a tall glass.
- Top up with the soda and garnish with a passionfruit husk float*.
This is another build-it-yourself cocktail and that means it’s brilliant for gatherings. You can make them in bulk and relatively quickly so it’s a perfect drink for BBQ’s, Parties etc… However if this drink is your own and you want to make it a little more special why not turn the garnish into a ‘bomb’ float?
Simply fill half a passionfruit husk with Triple Sec, or another similar liqueur (to be fair most liqueurs work here) and sink it just before drinking…
So there you go! 10 fabulous cocktails for your summer Party/BBQ/Evening… What’s more why don’t you try infusing some Vodka and try out a few tweaks on these classic recipes:
Please remember to drink responsibly as you’ll want to be sober enough to try the cocktails on the next post!